What is CBD?
CBD stands for Cannabidiol. It is one of the 100 or so compounds found in the cannabis or marijuana plant. Unlike the most common element found in the plant, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD in non-psychoactive. This means that it will not get you high, or stoned. CBD is becoming more and more well-known due to the far-reaching medical benefits it is believed to contain. The apparent benefits can be measured in terms of physical, mental, and emotional health. However, CBD is still a grossly misunderstood chemical compound.
Facts and Benefits
To improve the understanding of CBD, we have compiled a little list here today to outline some facts about CDB and the benefits it offers.
- The human body contains a biological system called the endocannabinoid system, which is comprised of endocannabinoids that work as neurotransmitters. The existence of this system means that we naturally produce cannabinoids in our bodies. This means that by taking CBD you are thought to be only increasing the potency of a naturally occurring element in the body and not using something alien to get high. The endocannabinoid system is involved in regulating many functions, including appetite, pain, mood, and sleep. So when you take CBD as a medicine, it is believed that you are increasing the effectiveness of the already naturally occurring cannabinoids in your body, thus creating a more natural remedy for your illnesses.
- There are rumours that it can be useful in the reduction of pain. This works because of the naturally occurring endocannabinoids in our bodies. Basically, when CBD is administered into the body, the endocannabinoid neurotransmitters in the brain interact with it. This has an impact on the sensitivity of certain receptors in the brain, thereby reducing their ability to send out pain signals. The result of which is that patient is then relieved of pain. Inflammation may also be reduced.
- It may be able to reduce anxiety and depression because CBD is thought to have a positive effect on serotonin in the brain. Instead of increasing the levels of serotonin, which is what antidepressants do, CBD makes better use of what is already there. So, it supposedly super-charges the serotonin levels you already have. Serotonin is a natural mood regulator. CBD also is believed to have an anti-stress effect. This could make CBD good at reducing anxiety.
- CBD may have an effect on relieving symptoms of cancer on patients. It could be effective on helping those who have just undergone chemotherapy, for example, by reducing the sensation of nausea and preventing vomiting, a common side effect.
- Another cancer-related benefit that CBD may have is that it is thought to reduce the size of tumors. In addition to this, not only can it reduce tumor growth and induce tumor cell destruction, but it may have the effect of increasing the efficiency of other anti-cancer drugs.
- It may be able to reduce acne in sufferers. It is thought to work by affecting the way the body produces a substance called sebum, a waxy, oily secretion that comes out of the skin. Basically, CBD is thought to produce anti-inflammatory reactions, thereby stopping inflammation of the skin.
- CBD may have some neuroprotective and antioxidant properties. It may be able to reduce damage to the brain and nervous system, and it can encourage the growth of new neurons.
- It has been seen in some cases to benefit the heart by reducing blood pressure.
- There is some evidence to suggest that CBD has antipsychotic effects. It has been administered to sufferers of mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and has reduced their psychotic symptoms.
- In some studies, CBD has been found to be effective in substance abuse treatment. This works in part because it reduces stress, depression, and anxiety, but it also has an impact on the areas of the brain that are responsible for cravings, and thrill-seeking.
- CBD could also be employed in the current destructive opioid crisis because it reduces the desire and dependence on the drug in users.
- Contrary to what some people believe, taking CBD will not result in you having a failed drug test.
- It does not need to be smoked. These days CBD comes in many forms including oils, balms, edibles such as food infused with CBD.
- CBD may at some stage be used in the fight against diabetes. This is because it may reduce inflammation, which helps diabetes because inflammation is known to cause the body to be less resistant against insulin. It may be useful to assist the body in blood-glucose creation.
- There have been many reports of the beneficial use of CBD for suffered from conditions such as multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. Due to the way CBD works with the receptors and neurotransmitters in the endocannabinoid system, it may be able to help minimize the onset of muscle spasms, convulsions, and seizures, for example.